incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:05:17 GMT
On 23.08.2011 07:10, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2011, at 8:44 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that the newsgroup, whatever it is, is designed to
>> send everything posted on it to ooo-dev ?  And it subscribes to
>> ooo-dev so it is like an aggregator?
>
> Yes. And it is actually very handy. These services are searchable
> public repositories of many, many mailing lists. My experience is
> individuals that interact with the Apache POI lists via nabble all of
> the time. Subjects are never a problem. with these GMane emails of
> Larry's they end up in the same group because Apple Mail can tell
> they are from the same thread.
>
> So, subject changes haven't bothered me except actually for yours
> recently with [email] - but please this is an example of an annoyance
> that is not worth complaining about :-p

The thread was broken by Dennis' mail because it missed the
"In-Reply-To" or "References" header. I don't know if that was a
misconfigured mail client (Outlook is able to handle that) or a
deliberate action from Dennis because he wanted to start a new thread.

I consider mail clients that only thread by subject as broken. My client
(Thunderbird) threads by Reference headers and can be configured to
*also* thread by subject, but I switched that off.

Regards,
Mathias