incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: <id>@openoffice.org
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:00:03 GMT
On 21.08.2011 19:32, Andy Brown wrote:

> Watching the discussions here I have a question.
>
> How hard would it be to find out which forwarding addresses are in
> active use, last six months, last year?
>
> Seems to me if an address is "active' then it should be maintained for
> that user as that is where some contacts expect to find that person.  I
> have one of those addresses and in the last year I may have received two
> or three messages, all spam, so I do not need the address or really want
> it.  As has been indicated it was given when I initially registered
> OO.o.  I think I have received two or three actual messages with that
> address and that was over two years ago when I signed up for the
> Marketing Project.  I see no need to maintain address forwarding for
> addresses that are not used but do feel that those that use them should
> have them maintained for the benefit of the community.  It seems that
> most of us agree that no new address should be assigned.

The id@ooo addresses most probably are useful only in one case: getting
mail notifications about changes in the bug tracking system. If we want
to continue working with the existing bug database (and why shouldn't
we?) we might want to be able to reach anybody who has either added
something to an issue or has registered himself as an observer for this
issue. In both cases the ooo userid and so the mailing address
"userid@openoffice.org" has been used to establish the contact. Throwing
away these mailing addresses would mean that we could no longer reach
the people that contributed to the issues or registered themselves to it.

Regards,
Mathias