incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: [email] RE: [Discuss] ASF hosted openoffice.org email service [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:01:02 GMT
Sorry, I had to reformat this thread as it was otherwise unreadable

>>> Likewise, I use it all the time, I would be strongly opposed to losing
>>> the@oo.o redirects for all of the reasons Terry outlines. Also long term
>>> users, (I dare say I'm not the only one) would have considerable
>>> issues tracing
>>> every single connection that uses that email.
>>>
>>> Administratively and in terms of resource consumption, I don't see a big
>>> issue leaving it as is.
>>
>> Are you asking Oracle to continue hosting an email service for a project
>> they are no longer involved with?
>>
>> If yes, I doubt very much they will oblige.
>
> I wasn't asking that, previous discussion had pointed to redirecting
> OOo lists
> to the Apache ooo lists
>> If not please explain the ease in which this transfer of email accounts,
>> mailing lists, archives, dns, integration with our systems will take
>> place.
>> Your one sentence makes it sound like a 5 minute job.
>
> I thought this was all being done in any case if only to retain
> connect for
> users of legacy OOo. Many email addresses have to be retained because our
> users are not au faix with the machinations of Oracle and Apache.
> Simply that
> @openoffice.org will get them what they need in terms of support
> whether it be
> users@, discuss@ or "whatever MarCon"@. That will not disappear overnight.

Gavin, I don't think that anyone is asking Oracle to continue to host
this.  The MX record for OpenOffice.org is now assigned to ASF.   I feel
that we are saying that this is one of the bundle of services that comes
with OOo, and we should have a continuity plan for it:  either:

    * migrate the service or
    * consciously and deliberately decide to kill it understanding that
      this will be disruptive and  send out a pretty strong message to
      the extended OOo community which uses it.

Yes, I see this as a migration and service provision issue, but not a
major administration issue going forward because we can freeze the
existing list and then go through some retirement plan over the next 12
months, say.  At it's heart this is an email redirector just like
XXXXX@apache.org -- albeit with a considerably longer but no static
mapping list.

Clearly someone has to own this, and I do think that the plan and effort
for this needs to have a /project/ owner who is willing to would with
the @infra team here.  Maybe I will end up adding it my list if no one
else comes forward, though this would require Oracle to give us some
time by continuing to host the service in the short term.

Though I am starting to think of the concept of committer on this
"OpenOffice.org project" a bit of an oxymoron :(  Terry