incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2011 17:52:14 GMT
On 8/19/2011 4:58 PM, TJ Frazier wrote:
> Hi, Dave
> On 8/19/2011 13:48, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>>> The foobar@openoffice.org mail addresses OTOH should be preserved. They
>>> are only forwarding addresses now and they can be kept that way,
>>> can't they?
>>
>> Not sure about it. There are considerations.
>>
>> (1) How do we get the forwarding data from Oracle? Is it legal to
>> transfer the list, or is it required?
>>
>> (2) Will the ASF host this forwarding on the normal apache.org mail
>> servers
>>
>> (3) Who on the OOO PPMC will handle the daily administration of these
>> forwarders as individual email addresses change?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
> For (1) and (3): the addresses are part of the account with OO.o. The
> forwarding address is the user's registered (verified) email address for
> the account. Accordingly, the info will be transferred with the account
> data, and is administered (for changes) by the user.
>
> (2) Can't really say if ASF can/will forward. Why not?

Currently, ASF infra provides mail forwarding and sending capability for
committers, but no-one else.  Committers are people who have shown clear
merit (i.e. they've been voted in by one of our project communities) and
also have signed an iCLA, so we have some sort of relationship with them.

Personally, I would not envision allowing any new me@oo.o email
addresses to be created, unless they're for committers (who should
probably use an @apache.org id instead).  I don't quite know what to do
with the many existing aliases, however.  Short term we certainly can
keep them (seem useful to people) but long term we would indeed need to
see how 1) infra would support it, and 2) how the future PMC would
provide oversight and manage any account issues (oh, yeah, that's your
(3) above.

- Shane