incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Managing mailing lists (spams issues on fr mailing list)
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:15:06 GMT

On 8/19/2011 2:20 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM, eric b<eric.bachard@free.fr>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When sending a mail on the french mailing lists, we receive in return lot os
>> spams.  One of them is : service-clients@sc.sfr.fr, but I know there are
>> other.
>>

> Is it a fair assumption to think that the Apache lists are filtered
> using Spam Assassin?   If so, it appears to be working well.  I'm a
> moderator on several lists and very rarely see spam come through.

Indeed, infra uses SpamAssassin on nearly all Apache lists with somewhat
customized rulesets.  Other services infra already supports are posted:

   http://www.apache.org/dev/services.html

Note that in general, I would envision the future state of AOOo as
having far, far fewer lists than the existing set of OOo lists.  Note
that the one exception that I have seen regularly made to have "more
lists" is languages - a number of projects have a dev-fr@ list in
addition to dev@ or the like.

Having fewer lists - even perhaps with more traffic - tends to encourage
more of a coherent community feel.

- Shane