incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:56:14 GMT
On 8/19/2011 11:57, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 08/19/2011 05:33 PM, schrieb TJ Frazier:
>> Hi, Marcus
>>
>> On 8/19/2011 09:12, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
[snip]
>>> E.g., I'm still managing the dev@distribution.oo.o and
>>> mirrors@distribution.oo.o ML and 99% is spam (up to 20 per day).
>>>

>> Are you doing any spam-reporting? I do that for almost every piece I
>> receive, here at home, and get maybe one/month.
>>
>> C. and I had a running dispute as to how useful it would be, to chase
>> down spammers on the wiki (instead of just blocking them). I didn't have
>> access to the email addresses, so he won; we didn't.
>>
>> If I can be of any help, please feel free to email me directly. I've
>> never done any ML moderating or managing, but (famous last words) how
>> hard can it be? --/tj/
>
> They're moderated ML, so I don't do anything with the mails. When you
> reject anything then they got a reply and know it's a valid address.
>
> I use the spam feature of Thunderbird to train the internal spam filter.
> Today nearly all got into my spam folder. Here I just need to look for
> false positives, otherwise delete finally. That's it.
>
> After a while the mails get also deleted automatically in the ML system
> without any reply back to the sender.
>
> Marcus

What I'm talking about doing is to complain to the ISP. Since Tb added
the scroll feature for headers in v3, it's much easier. I look for the
*real* sender, look that up, look up the "abuse@" address, and complain.

Some ISPs are useless to complain to, but the big Western ones (Google,
Yahoo, MS, RR, AT&T, ...) are usually quite responsive and will close
the account. My hope is that they can get a bigger picture from the
complaints, and track down some of the spammers for prosecution.

Does it work? Well, with the exception of one Chinese spam-list whose
ISP is unresponsive, I never get spam from the same sender twice.
Whether my efforts are only minor harassment, or the straw that breaks a
50,000-bot network, I'll never know. But it feels good to harass the
spammers back.

--
/tj/