incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:33:41 GMT
Hi, Marcus

On 8/19/2011 09:12, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 08/19/2011 02:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> As my preceding forwards indicate, we're getting some interesting
>> posts to dev@openoffice.org, including offers of help, but they are
>> not getting adequate responses. We're missing opportunities here to
>> grow the project.
>>
>> Is there anything we can do to improve this?
>>
>> 1) Continue as now, and I'll forward "interesting" posts to ooo-dev?
>>
>> 2) Send a note to dev@openoffice.org telling them that we've moved
>> over to ooo-dev and inviting them to join?
>
> It's OK for everyone who is still subscribed to that ML. But not
> everyone who wants to participate is already subscribed.
>
>> 3) Auto-responder for dev@openoffice.org telling them that we've moved
>> over to ooo-dev?
>
> Not a good solution in the case of spam. They would get an answer, know
> that it's a valid address and start mass spamming.
>
> E.g., I'm still managing the dev@distribution.oo.o and
> mirrors@distribution.oo.o ML and 99% is spam (up to 20 per day).

Are you doing any spam-reporting? I do that for almost every piece I
receive, here at home, and get maybe one/month.

C. and I had a running dispute as to how useful it would be, to chase
down spammers on the wiki (instead of just blocking them). I didn't have
access to the email addresses, so he won; we didn't.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to email me directly. I've
never done any ML moderating or managing, but (famous last words) how
hard can it be? --/tj/