incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How does BizDev fit in at Apache?
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:28:57 GMT

On 08/18/2011 10:27 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> FYI, Brand Management is working on an Apache Project Corporate
> Recognition Branding Policy to cover cases similar to this.
>
> The ASF is a vendor-neutral non-profit, and as such our projects should
> be careful to manage their websites and projects for the benefit of all
> their users, and to not endorse or otherwise be used by third parties
> for their marketing benefits.
>
> However healthy projects also understand that for-profit third parties
> are an important part of the ecosystem that builds our products, so we
> do allow Apache projects to have links pages to things like other
> trainers, consultants, and even other software providers who build
> software that works with Apache software.
>
> It would definitely be helpful for some committers with past experience
> with OOo work to collect a list of sites like this, and then come up
> with some specific suggestions / project policies for maintaining lists
> like that in the future. Then we can review the policy in terms of
> Apache branding policies. It's definitely up to the (P)PMC to manage
> this kind of resource, to ensure it's used fairly.

well...maybe I've started on this

see:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice+Domains

I decided to just add an extra column to what were the current
"internal" sites to attempt to define migration strategy. Actually, I
was just about to do some more work on it when I saw this post.

As for BizDev -- well I may get slapped for this one -- I'm really not
all that sure about the activity of this particular project of late. I
think it *may* have been started a while back when there was much more
emphasis on getting businesses on the whole scale migration to OO.o
bandwagon. I don't know what the situation is now. The mailing list does
not seem to be available, for example. I tried to go through many of the
incubator projects and make an assessment, but obviously others may have
differing opinions.

> A 30 second look at the consultants.html page shows that it looks pretty
> good, and I bet we can definitely continue pages like that in the future.
>
> - Shane
>
> On 8/18/2011 12:30 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I'm thinking of things like this, a directory of consultants providing
>> services to OpenOffice:
>>
>> http://bizdev.openoffice.org/consultants.html
>>
>> Obviously, this is a very important part of the ecosystem. But I'm
>> not sure how much we can mix commerce and non-profit together. How do
>> other projects handle this?
>>
>> -Rob

MzK

"Those who love deeply never grow old;
  they may die of old age, but they die young."
                         -- Sir Arthur Pinero