incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: How does BizDev fit in at Apache?
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:27:24 GMT
FYI, Brand Management is working on an Apache Project Corporate
Recognition Branding Policy to cover cases similar to this.

The ASF is a vendor-neutral non-profit, and as such our projects should
be careful to manage their websites and projects for the benefit of all
their users, and to not endorse or otherwise be used by third parties
for their marketing benefits.

However healthy projects also understand that for-profit third parties
are an important part of the ecosystem that builds our products, so we
do allow Apache projects to have links pages to things like other
trainers, consultants, and even other software providers who build
software that works with Apache software.

It would definitely be helpful for some committers with past experience
with OOo work to collect a list of sites like this, and then come up
with some specific suggestions / project policies for maintaining lists
like that in the future.  Then we can review the policy in terms of
Apache branding policies.  It's definitely up to the (P)PMC to manage
this kind of resource, to ensure it's used fairly.

A 30 second look at the consultants.html page shows that it looks pretty
good, and I bet we can definitely continue pages like that in the future.

- Shane