incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:25:03 GMT

> It is not unusual to have subdomains map to folders.
>
> That is, you might maintain http://openoffice.org/de
>
> and have http://de.openoffice.org map to it.  Even if someone
> navigated to the former, it might appear to have redirected to the
> second case.  (Try going to<http://nfocentrale.com/nfoWorks>.)
>
> My impression is that even works for add-on domains.  You could map
> http://deopenoffice.org to that subdomain which is actually anchored
> on a folder of the overall web-site tree.

Yes...and I think this is a good approach (see also Dave's followup). Why?

We need to again consider implementation aspects.

using http://openoffice.org/de

as an actual "location" entity gives more flexibility.

> [...]
> ones I own such as orcmid.com, odma.info, nfoWorks.org, etc.)
>
> - Dennis
>
> PS: Technically, you could even have http://ooo.apache.org and
> http://openoffice.org served from the same pages, though I think that
> is not such a hot idea, especially at the outset.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Marcus (OOo)
> [mailto:marcus.mail@wtnet.de] Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 13:41
> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: openoffice.org domains
> transferred to ASF
>
> Am 08/17/2011 10:00 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Shane
>> Curcuru<asf@shanecurcuru.org>   wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> Most of these don't appear to have much independent content.  I
>> wonder whether something like this would be more maintainable going
>> forward, to have a destination page for each language:
>>
>> Assuming our eventual TLP home is:  http://openoffice.apache.org,
>> then we could have:
>>
>> http://openoffice.apache.org/de http://openoffice.apache.org/es
>> http://openoffice.apache.org/pl http://openoffice.apache.org/it
>>
>> and so on.
>>
>> Then have the existing domain names redirect to these.
>
> Yes, should be a good way to have one home that we have to maintain
> but some redirects when a user has spelled the domain name not 100%
> correctly.
>
>> Alternatively, we could do this via openoffice.org addresses:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/de http://www.openoffice.org/es
>> http://www.openoffice.org/pl http://www.openoffice.org/it
>>
>> or even via subdomains:
>>
>> http://de.openoffice.org/ http://es.openoffice.org/
>> http://pl.openoffice.orgl http://it.openoffice.org/
>>
>> Any committer should be able to add a new language at
>> http://www.openoffice.org/foo, but wouldn't adding a new subdomain
>> require working with Apache Infra.  Or is there some magic we can
>> do
>
> My favorite way would be the [language].openoffice.org pattern as it
> looks better and more professional.
>
> However, if it is way easier maintainance to have the
> www.openoffice.org/[language] pattern, then we should go this way.
>
>> with Apache server to make these map automatically via a rule?
>>
>> But I think this all leads back to the same basic question:  Do we
>> want users to have a different home page than project volunteers?
>> I think so.  But we can still do that page via markdown, stored in
>> SVN.
>
> I haven't seen other voices in the past. So I think it is agreed in
> the meantime.
>
> Marcus
>

>> The question is only what domain names we direct to those pages.
>>

>>> Reminder: Apache projects normally host all their content on a
>>> *.apache.org domain.  I believe that in ooo's case, the future
>>> project will want to host some content on other, non-a.o domains;
>>> however we should strive to make most of the project be on an

MzK

"Those who love deeply never grow old;
  they may die of old age, but they die young."
                         -- Sir Arthur Pinero