incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ingrid von der Mehden <>
Subject Re: [Repo][Proposal] OOO340 SVN Dump file import
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:45:01 GMT
Am 16.08.2011 16:21, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Ingrid von der Mehden
> <>  wrote:
>> Am 15.08.2011 18:46, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> [...]
>>> ooo/trunk/core --- all the OOO340 stuff
>>> ooo/trunk/l10n -- all the language stuff
>> Actually I would suggest to name the directory 'main' instead of 'core'.
>> The term 'core' is used already in several modules within the OOo source
>> code, where it does imply that this is something without user interface
>> (more the model part in MVC pattern). So using the term 'core' for the whole
>> office (including user interface) is misleading and could create confusion.
> Note what we already have in SVN:
> We're mixing site files, and source in the same repository.
> I wonder if we want a "src" directory that is a sibling of "site".
> And then "main" and "extras" under that?

I just searched through the different Apache projects and the scheme as
we have it is quite common:

'Apache Project'/site
'Apache Project'/trunk
'Apache Project'/branches
'Apache Project'/tags

Those directories can be found very often. I think it is not too bad to
stay with the common scheme. This makes it easier to switch between
projects for all Apache committers.

If we instead choose to have a src directory next to site, I would vote
to put trunk, branches and tags into it. All the different code lines
are all src, they belong together. So we would have:

This will lead to an additional directory in the path. But the logical
grouping is cleaner. A pitfall might be that some people might expect
only source code in a directory called src and not things like help
content or translation.

So I still prefer:
ooo/trunk/main --- all the OOO340 stuff
ooo/trunk/extras/l10n -- all the language stuff

Kind regards,

>> I would also put the l10n stuff into a further directory. Those people who
>> have no idea what l10n might be, could benefit from a simpler name 'extras'.
>> This makes the first browsing experience in the source code less
>> frightening.
>> So I would suggest:
>> ooo/trunk/main --- all the OOO340 stuff
>> ooo/trunk/extras/l10n -- all the language stuff
>> The full proposal was here:
>> Kind regards,
>> Ingrid

View raw message