incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ingrid von der Mehden <Ingrid...@gmx-topmail.de>
Subject Re: [Repo][Proposal] OOO340 SVN Dump file import
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:45:01 GMT
Am 16.08.2011 16:21, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Ingrid von der Mehden
> <IngridvdM@gmx-topmail.de>  wrote:
>> Am 15.08.2011 18:46, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> ooo/trunk/core --- all the OOO340 stuff
>>> ooo/trunk/l10n -- all the language stuff
>>>

>> Actually I would suggest to name the directory 'main' instead of 'core'.
>> The term 'core' is used already in several modules within the OOo source
>> code, where it does imply that this is something without user interface
>> (more the model part in MVC pattern). So using the term 'core' for the whole
>> office (including user interface) is misleading and could create confusion.
>>

> Note what we already have in SVN:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/
>
> We're mixing site files, and source in the same repository.
>
> I wonder if we want a "src" directory that is a sibling of "site".
> And then "main" and "extras" under that?

I just searched through the different Apache projects and the scheme as
we have it is quite common:

'Apache Project'/site
'Apache Project'/trunk
'Apache Project'/branches
'Apache Project'/tags

Those directories can be found very often. I think it is not too bad to
stay with the common scheme. This makes it easier to switch between
projects for all Apache committers.

------

If we instead choose to have a src directory next to site, I would vote
to put trunk, branches and tags into it. All the different code lines
are all src, they belong together. So we would have:

ooo/site
ooo/src/trunk/main
ooo/src/trunk/extras
ooo/src/branches
ooo/src/tags

This will lead to an additional directory in the path. But the logical
grouping is cleaner. A pitfall might be that some people might expect
only source code in a directory called src and not things like help
content or translation.

So I still prefer:
ooo/trunk/main --- all the OOO340 stuff
ooo/trunk/extras/l10n -- all the language stuff

Kind regards,
Ingrid