incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:24:14 GMT
On 14/08/2011 eric b wrote:
> Le 13 août 11 à 17:44, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
>> PLIO, the association corresponding to the Italian Native-Lang
>> Project, has been a registered charity in Italy since 2005 and
>> receives contributions from Italian taxpayers, that we invest back in
>> OpenOffice.org-related activities.
> Is it still the case ? Was an action for OpenOffice.org made since last
> year (e.g.) ?

We localized and released OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 in Italian, we kept the
Italian Dictionary extension up-to-date with regular releases, we made
some QA on OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta, we held our regular annual assembly
at the end of April 2011 and we approved projects that are still
inherently fuzzy due the obviously unstable situation that has persisted
from April until now.

(But, especially as we are on this mailing list, I have to state that,
while I am a Board Member of PLIO, I cannot speak on behalf of PLIO;
head to http://www.plio.it/ if you want to officially contact PLIO).

>> However, on our OpenOffice.org pages http://it.openoffice.org/ we
>> don't mention this: we only use http://www.plio.it/ for advertising
>> and fundraising. So we are not affected by the OpenOffice.org
>> fundraising policy.
> I read the content of the site you mentionned aboce, and it looks
> abandoned : the last articles are not recent IMHO.

Both sites have been in minimal maintenance for years, but not abandoned
at all.

On http://it.openoffice.org/ we had to wait years for the infrastructure
migration to Kenai, that came in February 2011 when the future of
OpenOffice.org and of that infrastructure became less and less certain
(and I'm now glad that we didn't waste time on updating a web
infrastructure that is not going to last).

On http://www.plio.it/ we publish 4-5 articles per year, mostly
coincident with OpenOffice.org releases and conference. So I'd say it's
normal that the latest article is about OOo 3.3.0: we would have more
recent articles, had there been new releases or a conference.

> More recently, PLIO members posted that :
> http://punto-informatico.it/3018399/PI/Lettere/lettere-openoffice-libreoffice-plio.aspx
> (I found other PR about PLIO)

I don't understand this. Anyway, the facts stated there are correct
(basically, PLIO goes on in spite of whatever arguments corporations or
groups have, and we give community support to everyone). If you find
this relevant, Italo Vignoli is no longer President of PLIO.

> Can you please explain us more what is the current PLIO goal ?

Our statute is online at http://www.plio.it/ and it dates back to 2005;
especially on this mailing list, it suffices to say that PLIO is a
charity that, through (unpaid) volunteer activity by its members, aims
at improving and promoting OpenOffice.org, related software, auxiliary
tools, open formats and free software in general.

(Again, if someone missed it: I'm not entitled to speak officially on
behalf of PLIO, but as long as it may be relevant to this mailing list
I'll provide information about how it works).

Regards,
   Andrea.