incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:10:52 GMT
Am 08/14/2011 08:01 AM, schrieb Raphael Bircher:
> Am 14.08.11 03:58, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Eike Rathke<ooo@erack.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Rob,

>>> For Team OOo that's correct. For SPI that's presumably correct as well.

>>> Why not?
>>>
>> I've formed a US-based non-profit corporation before, so I know some
>> of the concerns. To preserve tax-exempt status, as well as to comply
>> with fund raising regulations, you need to be very careful how
>> donations are solicited and how they are spent. There is a lot of
>> paperwork and a lot of details. I have no experience with doing this
>> internationally, but that certainly increases the complexity. It is
>> very reasonable for Apache not to assume the risks to their non-profit
>> status that would come if they allowed every poding or even project to
>> do its own fund raising.
> I assume that a donnation to the ASF is only tax-free in the US. Every
> Country has here there oven criteria. That's the reason why Wikipedia
> has NGO's in each Country. It means, donnation to the ASF will not be
> Tax-Free in Switzerland.

>>> I think a donation to Apache in general is different from a donation
>>> specifically to the AOOo project. I didn't see a "designated use" field
>>> in the PayPal form.
>>>
>> Correct. Projects are not independent legal entities. The legal
>> entity is the Apache Software Foundation. But the website does say,
>> "If you have a specific target or project that you wish to directly
>> support, please contact us and we will do our best to satisfy your
>> wishes". But that is different than saying that a project has a fund
>> under their control.
> Yes, and that's exactly the problem why no one is willing to give money.
> Peopel like to know where where there money go,

I doubt that. When it's clear that the money cannot go directly to the
AOO project, then it's for the entire ASF *including* AOO.

The problem of giving money (from the average human) is the fact that
you have a) less in your wallet, b) you don't see or get a short-term
effect; like a bugfix or a new release with your preferred language.

> else they can affort a Lisence of MS Office.

This is not true and pure rant.

Marcus