incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 01:13:00 GMT
On 8/13/2011 8:44 PM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 01:28 +0100, Simon Phipps wrote:

>>> Seems to me there are two options open.
>>>
>>> 1) The grants are made to Apache with no strings attached.
>>>
>>> 2) The businesses stop receiving donations for OpenOffice.org.
>>>
>>> For either someone that has worked with the organizations that is a member
>>> here needs to contact them and see what they can/ are willing to do.
>>

>> I don't follow that reasoning. If (hypothetically) I want to pay for you to
>> go to Bermuda for a vacation, it's between you and me and no business of the
>> Bermuda Tourist Commission. So while I can see the hardware donations will
>> have to end, why is it anything to do with this project if (also
>> hypothetically) Team OOo wants to pay for you to go to ApacheCon in
>> Vancouver where you've got a paper on AOOo accepted, or wants to pay a
>> student to work on AOOo code for the summer?
>>
>> S.
>

> Profits from sales of printed copies of ODFAuthors (formerly OOoAuthors)
> books are held by the not-for-profit organisation[1] that publishes
> those books. The money from OpenOffice.org user guide sales is
> designated to "be used to benefit the community". This could include
> things like costs of conference attendance, copies of books for display
> at conferences, copies of books (including translations) for
> distribution where cost is an issue for the recipient, possibly payment
> to writers of docs on specific topics... and other things I haven't
> thought of while writing this note.

Indeed, this case sounds like a great thing that you're doing - and is
also something that neither I (as VP, Brand Management) nor the PPMC
would even have any standing to ask you to change things.  Note that we
always love it when book authors choose to donate part of their
royalties to related projects, but we don't ask for that.

   https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#booktitle

Apache policies only apply to Apache projects and marks.  So any
fundraising done outside isn't an issue, and any fundraising that's not
directly using Apache marks is not an issue for Apache.  It's only
fundraising branded for "OpenOffice.org" that we will need to deal with.

Personally, I don't see any reason that we (i.e. the ASF) have anything
to say about any past funds raised for "OpenOffice.org"; whoever
organized those donations should continue to manage them by whatever
criteria they started with.  But we do need to work on a plan to ensure
that Apache policies are respected for both this podling and for our
marks going forward.

Thus, a basic description of who and what is doing how much fundraising,
and in particular, specific links to their pages are needed, so we can
see what areas we might need to request changes in.

- Shane