incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:32:45 GMT
On 8/13/2011 2:45 PM, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> On Saturday, 2011-08-13 10:51:57 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> Donations went to Team, e.V, or to SPI (for US
>> donations).  I'm assuming that Oracle does not control either of these
>> accounts.  I'm assuming as well that Apache and the PPMC has no
>> control over these accounts.
> For Team OOo that's correct. For SPI that's presumably correct as well.
>> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an Apache
>> project can have a private fund, or solicit donations for a 3rd party
>> one.
> Why not?

ASF fundraising policy prohibits directed donations.  Donations of cash
or hardware or significant services may only be made to the ASF as a
whole, and not to individual projects.

Some projects work with specific vendors to secure donated software
licenses (for example, debuggers, code or log analyzers, etc.) for the
purpose of developing their project's software.  But this certainly does
not extend to per-project fundraisers or bank accounts.

Note that this is why I raised the issue: we need a plan to understand
how we're going to transition from any existing fundraising efforts that
use the name, to the Apache model of non-directed
donations to the ASF as a whole.

This also leads to the larger question (I suggest another thread) of how
the ASF as a whole and the AOOo project in specific plan to use the domain name and trademark in the future.  I like Roy's
general idea of using it as a generic overview to the project and a set
of links to OOo related resources.  However that will require some
detailed planning, to balance keeping it as useful as possible while
being careful to only directly distribute appropriately licensed content.

Specific questions about details of fundraising policy should be
addressed to the privately archived fundraising@ list.

- Shane

>> Maybe have it point to here instead:
> I think a donation to Apache in general is different from a donation
> specifically to the AOOo project. I didn't see a "designated use" field
> in the PayPal form.
>> Higher level question is this:  is there any particular reason that we
>> think AOOo has fundraising needs that are not covered by Apache's
>> fundraising?  Apache provides the servers, the domain registrations,
>> they have conferences which we are welcome to attend, they have a
>> press office, etc.
> Team OOo paid bursaries for individuals that went to OOoCons and
> Hackfest, paid hardware for buildbots and pootle servers, paid students
> for the OOo internship. Do you think that Apache will cover those
> expenses?
>    Eike

View raw message