incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 21:57:51 GMT
On 8/12/2011 17:15, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2011, at 22:01, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Simon Phipps<simon@webmink.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I suggest the right question is "which project members need which data and why".
The answer today may well be "none", since we don't actually have any resources to visit yet.
This is also likely to change over time, and we'll need to add analytics as and when people
request (and justify) according to their specific needs and remove them when they're no longer
justified.

>>> I suggest we resist the idea of capturing bulk analytics "just because", and
instead devise a lightweight process for justifying and requesting collection of data. I'd
guess there is already a process to copy somewhere in Apache - any mentors with suggestions
where to look?

>> I see that tracking code is used with the websites of most of the
>> groups you are affiliated with:  LibreOffice (Piwik), ForgeRock
>> (Google Analytics, including in the community pages) and OSI  (Google
>> Analytics).  And as was mentioned before, OpenOffice.org uses Google
>> Analytics currently.
>
> It is indeed endemic. We have a unique opportunity to address the issue thoughtfully.
And by the way I am delighted you're paying such close attention to my career.

>> Have you given them similar advice?
>
> Where possible, yes. Abuse of personal data is something which concerns me greatly.
>
>> Or is there something special
>> about OpenOffice at Apache
>
> Yes. At the moment as far as I am aware AOOo has no significant resources of interest
to non-project-members and no groups of members with active applications for the data from
analytics. Both situations will certainly change, but on best YAGNI principles I suggest doing
what's needed when it's needed, on the basis of actual documented requirements.

>> that suggests that we should not be
>> optimizing our website based on visitor stats like others, including
>> LibreOffice, are?
>
> When we have an end-user website capable of optimisation along with project members stepping
forward to harvest the data, process it and act upon it, that will be a fine thing to do.
What's needed, when it's needed.

> S.

Two points, not definitive but worth considering:

1) Technically, is it easier to build in analytics now, or would it be
just as easy to add them later?

2) Might we want to do something dramatic (<sarcasm> say, actually make
a release... </sarcasm>), and measure the effect on the site? Suddenly,
months of un-analyzed data become a valuable baseline.

$0.02
--
/tj/