incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [www] html instead of markdown (mdtext)?
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:10:16 GMT
(To provide a little context while Gav may be asleep)

On 8/12/2011 9:26 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Gavin McDonald<gavin@16degrees.com.au>  wrote:
 >>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>

...snip snip snip...

>>> Just a thought:  Could you do the entire website in MediaWiki, with only
>>> exception cases (download page, etc.) done in HTML?
>>
>> Just to put a blocker on this right away, we will not be using the wiki as the
>> main website or the main entrance into the OOo world.
>>

> Since it is not self-evident to me why a wiki would be a problem for
> the main website, could you explain this a little further?  Is there a
> technical problem?  Remember, the wiki already comprises several
> thousand pages of website content, so in a very real sense the "main"
> website is already the wiki.

Performance.  As I understand it, the bulk of all apache.org content is
served statically as html files.  Putting a major project's homepage
website like the future office.a.o (or whatever name) up as a wiki would
add a significant amount of load to our servers, even for a highly
efficient wiki engine.

The beauty of the CMS is that while it's easy to work on the pages
(either via SVN or browser), the final result is simply checked into SVN
and then the resulting .html file is just stuck on the production
webserver site.  Some projects use a wiki to manage their homepages
(i.e. project.a.o, separate from any community wiki they may have), but
the physical homepage that end-users see is typically static html that's
been exported from their wiki site.

Gav or infra folk can provide more details, but you should plan on
adhering to whatever performance restrictions the infra team requires
for the main website.

- Shane