incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [email] openoffice.org email / user transition
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 06:27:55 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> (2) openoffice.org registered users.
>> Should we have a way to maintain openoffice.org email aliases? Who do we do this
for?

Yes Dave, it is important to save those aliases. On the users side, the
@openoffice.org e-mail addresses were a little but nice strategic
element in community building. On the practical side, the
@openoffice.org alias was/is used as the username in Bugzilla, in other
sites belonging to the OpenOffice.org infrastructure (QATrack and at
least one of Templates and Extensions); password recovery messages and
Bugzilla notifications are sent to those aliases.

Of course, this could be fixed by scripting, but it might be (but I
couldn't check the real code) that some services rely on the identity
"e-mail address for user USERNAME = USERNAME@openoffice.org"; and these
would be broken.

> The problem we're going to run into is that there are both official
> openoffice.org email addresses, like webmaster@openoffice.org,
> stories@openoffice.org, cdrom@openoffice.org.  And then there are user
> accounts at the same domain, given out rather freely.

This remark by Rob Weir is absolutely true, unfortunately. And what's
worse is that, as far as I know, there is no way to discriminate between
"official" and "personal" addresses. Several years ago, the Italian N-L
project created an alias scuole@openoffice.org (means "schools") for a
-never properly launched- project about OpenOffice.org in Italian
schools. And this was registered by merely "squatting" a free address
since we knew no way to officially reserve an alias, and I suspect that
the other "official" aliases you list could have been registered this
way as well.

Regards,
   Andrea.