incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject [www] html instead of markdown (mdtext)?
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 16:12:15 GMT
I am proposing that we adopt plain HTML for the OOo website instead of
the current markdown (mdtext) implementation.

I hesitate to make this recommendation given ALL the time and research
Dave and others have already spent on the current incubator website,
but, I feel, given that we will be migrating a rather large existing
site, it makes sense.

I also realize that doing this will "break" the ability to use the
webgui editing capability of the Apache CMS, forcing everyone to use svn
for page updates. However, I don't have a good feel right now for the
ultimate impact of that -- e.g. what do we expect in terms of web site
editors.

This would allow us to continue to use the default template system
(Dotiac::DTL) but eliminate the need for wrapping or intermixing
markdown text with normal HTML. HTML files shouldn't require any
"wrapping" functions at all I think, since this is the indigenous format
for web servers. We would have to bypass header, footer and navigation
items for anything that *isn't* html, like js, css files.

Unfortunately, I've had a very difficult time this week trying to find
any information on the setup details of Dotiac::DTL (documentation not
available) -- the relationship of the two .pm files to the template
areas, etc.

I took at look around at many the Apache web areas (svn) at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/

You will see, as I did, that the vast majority are not using markdown,
and this is NOT a requirement.

Anyway, thoughts/comments on this proposal?
MzK

"Those who love deeply never grow old;
  they may die of old age, but they die young."
                         -- Sir Arthur Pinero