incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Request for comments: Community Wiki Services web page.
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 23:38:54 GMT

On 8/8/2011 2:58 AM, Terry wrote:
> On 08/08/11 01:25, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> On Aug 7, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Terry Ellison wrote:
>>
>>> I've just finished a 1st cut of outstanding tasks and issues for the
>>> Wiki.
>>>
>>> See
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Community+Wiki+Services
> <snip>
>
>> The plan will change slightly if the authoritative DNS for
>> openoffice.org is transferred to Apache first.
>>
> You are correct.  In this case we would face loss of service across
> the board, unless we commission a redirector in the opposite
> direction, so that we can continue to redirect URIs for these services
> to the legacy Oracle-hosted infrastructure.
>
> We have the interaction of 3 task threads here, and I would prefer to
> baseline an ordering if not exact dates.
>
>    * The assignment of the authoritative DNS for openoffice.org
>    * The  Oracle Business/Legal "go" for transfer of wiki content.
>    * The technical work to do the box and content cut-over.
>
> It would be good if Andrew Rist could contribute to this discussion.
I'm following everything here (both on ooo-dev@a.o and
infrastructure@a.o) and I'll keep chiming in when I have substance to add.

With the grant for the trademarks and domain names officially done,
we're at the beginning of the 'physical transfer' phase.
My assumption on the domains, is that the transfer of the DNS transfer
to Apache is a separate issue from the transfer of the hosting of one or
another service.  At first, before transfer of the DNS, if a particular
service has been stood up at Apache, and everything is ready, the DNS on
Oracle's side will be pointed to the Apache service (just as
extensions.services.openoffice.org now points to oooapps.osuosl.org).
At some point we transfer the DNS, but leave it pointing to the same
places.  At that point we can continue to move the remaining services
over to the Apache side.

In the same way that the cleaning of the code and application of AL2
does not need to occur before anything is moved into Apache SVN servers,
we do not need to worry about bringing over other content.  Final
resolution of Copyright/Licensing/Grants needs to occur before graduation.

Andrew