incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal]
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:31:43 GMT
On 08.08.2011 16:43, Donald Whytock wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
>> What are examples of some threads that would belong in "web develop"?
>> Have we had any threads like this?
>
> One example would be the recent Managing Downloads thread, which
> evolved into a discussion about handling which mirrors would be used
> and whether and how they would be made available for selection.  This
> is more the mechanics of the site rather than the content of the site,
> and not at all the functionality of OOo.
>
> It's probably just as well that that thread started in ooo-dev -- as
> Ross says, the idea is to build community -- but it might be good to
> have a place for it to move into.

Really, most of the time requests for more mailing lists are caused by
either usage of insufficient mail clients or wrong usage of otherwise
perfectly capable clients. Example: if a thread doesn't interest you,
mark it as "read" and don't read it. Or even better, have a client that
allows you to automate that. But even without such measures the pain of
some postings too much is much smaller than the pain caused by too many
lists.

>From past experience the huge number of mailings lists in the "old" OOo
project was a PITA. It didn't happen often, but too often that people
asked a question and were told that "this is not the right place, ask on
the list x instead". This sucks, especially for if this was your first
post to a list.

IMHO new mailing lists shouldn't be created before the traffic in the
existing MLs is clearly unbearable. On this list we are not even close
to this. This will (hopefully! ;-)) change once we will have a release
or maybe even short before this - but until then we should avoid
everything that could bear a risk to fragment our still small commmunity.

Besides that, using [tags] in subjects is a good idea. But to be useful
they should be commonly accepted. No, I don't want to vote about them
;-), but we should give used tags a feedback loop.

Regards,
Mathias