incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Request for comments: Community Wiki Services web page.
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:12:50 GMT
On 07/08/11 23:53, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 08/07/2011 03:38 PM, Terry Ellison wrote:
>> I've just finished a 1st cut of outstanding tasks and issues for the
>> Wiki.
>>
>> See
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Community+Wiki+Services
>>

>> Comments gratefully received on this DL and/or on the page itself.
>
> OK, I'll be the first to add to this.
>
> I suggested some time back, and given the technical details we'll be
> faced with in migrating a large portion of the current OOo web site to
> the Apache web architecture, I strongly suggest that all the native
> language projects front-facing pages be migrated to the "new" wiki. I
> don't know what any of them would think about this, but I truly feel
> this will make life easier for them in the long run. Given what some
> have on their existing web sites, I'm pretty sure migration to the
> wiki would entail far less time for them, and enable more convenient
> updating as well.
>
> Some, if you look at the current OO.o wiki home page, some languages
> already have a presence on the current wiki.
>
> This would of course, give them URLS of the form
>
> somewikiname.openoffice.org/"nl_code"
>
> rather than "nl_code".openoffice.org
>
> but I have a feeling such a change would be ok.
>
> Naturally, we should confirm acceptance with them for this.

I have already covered some of my thoughts on another fork of this
thread.  I see this as part of the content migration / transformation
task area.  What I want to go is to get the current content over with
loss of content, formatting or change history.

To your specific points, but I assume by your refrence to the "new" wiki
if you mean the ooo-dev cwiki.  As we've discussed before, the current
migration from MediaWiki to Confluence can be highly lossy unless there
is per-page content editor intervention: we loose all  change history,
some content formatting (1) and some even content (2).  It therefore
makes sense, even if we migrate the publicly viewed copy to cwiki, to
keep a master copy of the old content online in the this wiki, albeit
moving the page into an "Archive" namespace which is private and
read-only to committers.

//Terry

Notes:

   1. Reading the UG and some of the other migration projects online,
      Confluence doesn't implement some of the basic MW formatting
      options (e.g. simple indentation -- a known issue since 2005), so
      the converter can optionally flag up some of these but what you
      will see is not what you got previously.
   2. MW (and the OOo wiki) makes extensive use a text macro inclusion
      feature known as templates.  Confluence has templates and macros
      which largely cover similar  functionality, but if the migration
      does not do a full 1-1 mapping then content can be lost from the
      viewed page.