incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Request for comments: Community Wiki Services web page.
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:33:23 GMT
On 08/08/11 02:23, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> +1 to move to PostgreSQL.
>
> It's more work but it's also more portable than the other
> option that I would have suggested: ZFS.
Picking up Wolf and Pedro's point.  We used to use PostgreSQL to run the
forums and I found it an excellent product.  (We migrated to MySQL after
Sun bought the company and wanted a MySQL logo on every page footer, so
made this "request".  How times have changed.)

There are two factors against an early move to PostgreSQL:  (i) The
MediaWiki cavaets on its use (here
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:PostgreSQL> and as all experienced
Wikipedian's do look at the associated talk page here
<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual_talk:PostgreSQL>; this has a
couple of interesting references which cookbook the conversion).  (ii)
The extra work involved. This is not only the D/B migration, but also a
MW version upgrade 15.1 -> 17.

To be honest I am uncomfortable doing this as part of this immediate
"continuity of service" migration.  My suggestion is that if the wiki
looks as if it is going to have a long term place within  the project
then we should revisit this as part of an in-service improvement program
in, say, 6-12 months.

//Terry