incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Peters <fpe.mli...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: An example of what's wrong up with the wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 17:37:26 GMT
Rob,

> As mentioned before I'm concerned with the concentration of power on
> the wiki, with a few moderators/admins having arbitrary power over
> content, even though they have not signed the iCLA, are not committers
> and have not been appointed by the PPMC.  So there is arbitrary
> authority, with no accountability.  Having a system like this
> abdicates the PPMC's responsibility for providing oversight to our
> Apache-hosted project websites.
>
> I posted a new FAQ on the wiki today.  This was to demonstrate that
> anyone could post anything on the wiki, under any license.
>
> The post was quickly taken down and my account was permanently
> blocked.  This was done by someone who is not a PPMC member. In fact

So obviously your demonstration failed. Thanks to Clayton who has served
a long time as a dedicated admin on the wiki and apparently is still
taking care that noone spams the wiki.

> this was a person who recently announced that he was leaving the
> project because they had no time to participate.  But evidently there
> is no process for removing someone's super-user permissions once they
> claim to have left the project.   There was no discussion on the
> ooo-dev or ooo-private about the content removal.  Nor was there any
> discussion of the account ban.  It was just done.

> This is not how Commit Then Review works at Apache.   This proves my

So doesn't it? Why not start a discussion thread about every spammer
on the wiki? We have so few of them (threads).

The wiki as it is now is legacy. You have not been involved in
the history of the wiki in the last 5 years. Clayton has and has
(together with his co-admins) ensured that it 2was a useful source
of information for the community.

Go ahead and implement a wiki at Apache and move the content over.
This "demonstration" of yours was a pathetic move.

Frank