incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Access to wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 13:11:50 GMT
On 8/7/2011 08:39, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Rob Weir<apache@robweir.com>  wrote:
>

>> Maybe I'm too skeptical,  but do we really have thousands of non core
>> project members dropping in for minutes at a time, adding information
>> on the architecture of OOo?  And build instructions? Looking at the
>> history of these pages, it looks more like this is core dev-enabling
>> information that should be part of the core project website
>

> "Thousands" is hyperbole. The wiki has been a meta-community resource
> throughout the history of the project, and shutting it down so the only way
> to use it is to sign up to Apache is the wrong move. I see a whole lot of
> YAGNI thinking going on here. How about adopting the principle of being as
> permissive as possible until there's a problem that needs solving?
>
> S.

+1
We seem to be searching for excuses to impose high-entry-barrier
("high-bar") solutions on the wiki. This, for a wiki, is rather like
spanking the baby with an ax: it /works/, but ...

If we break the problems up a bit, some low-bar solutions become inviting.

IP-NEW
The most urgent problem is to control any new contributions to the wiki,
in a way that is acceptable to our TLA partners. Fortunately, there is a
general way, already vetted by thousands of corporate lawyers, and
familiar to everyone who's ever downloaded any software (including
ours!): call it the "EULA page". On account creation (or reactivation)
the user either accepts the license, or the account remains read-only.
We can reinforce this with messages on the edit page, footer messages,
&c, until all authorities are satisfied.

IP-OLD
I think we have consensus that this will take time and effort; it is not
amenable to a sweeping solution. Fortunately, we have the time, and
probably the effort; while important, this problem is not urgent. We
have particular and drastic solutions (block, delete) for any particular
problem that may become urgent.

INTEGRITY
This deserves a long discussion in a separate thread. The OO.o low-bar
solutions worked poorly for IP, but reasonably well (IMHO) for
integrity. The general C-T-R method on the wiki is compatible with the
Apache Way, and lives or dies by the effectiveness of the "review" part.
We can do this.

--
/tj/