incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: status of OpenOffice logo?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:15:28 GMT
The Incubator Branding Guide notes:
"Podlings websites SHOULD contain the Apache Incubator Project logo as
sign of affiliation."

More importantly, the key point is that podlings must ensure their
public websites make it clear they are a podling; or rather, that they
are not (yet) an official Apache project or product.  Using the
incubator logo in some secondary page space is fine; likewise, the
footers or other secondary branding on the pages should note the podling
is undergoing Incubation.

Oh, yeah, the site does most of that that already!  8-)

I think it might be useful in this case to have a new "General" link to
a subpage about "What is Incubation" or something - i.e. a brief
overview of why it's incubating and what that means for end users and
the larger community.

Overall, the best idea is to figure out how this project wants to manage
it's branding with some more specific proposals, and then ask for
approvals/assistance from Apache Legal and Branding.  Having concrete
questions to answer is much simpler.

- Shane

> [...]
>
> - Dennis
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Dave Fisher
> [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net] Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011
> 10:33 To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: status of
> OpenOffice logo?
>
> Hi Kay,
>
> Amazing the volume of emails that came in while driving from San
> Francisco to Los Angeles.
>
> On Aug 3, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> There are some first steps proceding with moving portions of the
>> existng OpenOffice.org site to Apache. See, for example,
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/download/index.html
>>
>> This page lacks headers and footers, which brings me to...
>>
>> I know there's been discussion about the current OpenOffice.org
>> logo
>
> Regenerate the current headers and footers, but it needs to be done
> via wrapping in the Apache CMS.
>
> In ooo/site/trunk/templates
>
> sidenav.mdtext single_narrative.html skeleton.html
>
> Take skeleton.html and make a ooo_skeleton.html
>
> In ooo/site/trunk/lib
>
> path.pm view.pm
>
> In path.pm:
>
> our @patterns = ( [qr!\.mdtext$!, single_narrative =>  { template =>
> "single_narrative.html" }], ) ;
>
> Add a pattern to identify the html that kenai wrapped before. This
> will be tricky as there may be html that we want to just push through
> - I think that was "*.html.html" file in Kenai.
>
> This pattern can refer either directly to ooo_skeleton.html or refer
> to an "ooo_narative.html" which refers to ooo_skeleton.html.
>
> In view.pm we will need a python routine to pump content into the
> markup.
>
> For now concentrate on turning one or two to the current pages into a
> "template" and then we can do the steps outlined above.
>

>> vis a vis trademarks, possible changes due to Apache etc.
>>
>> But could someone give us an update on this?
>
> When we have our samples together then I think we should describe to
> Trademarks and Legal-Discuss what we have done. They'll tell us if we
> need to change anything. The project might want to do a little "bike
> shedding" on the design.
>

>> Can we use the existing logo without changes (i.e. ref to Apache?)
>> or ???
>
> I thought we would add a small Apache feather to the header
> somewhere, but the footer might be ok, too.
>

>> There seems to be few Apache projects. e.g Buildr, which don't seem
>> to use the Apache logo, and since there seems to be a consensus to
>> keep OpenOffice.org at a site openoffice.org, I'm wondering if we
>> can just proceed with what we ahve in terms of headers for web
>> pages without change.
>
> A lot of projects have the Apache logo in one corner and the project
> logo in the other.
>
> My personal feeling is that the colors on the Apache feather clash
> with the light sky blue of OOo. I have seen some examples where the
> Feather has different colors but these may be legacy.

MzK