incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 16:32:06 GMT

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Andrew Rist | Interoperability Architect
Oracle Corporate Architecture Group
Redwood Shores, CA | 650.506.9847

On 8/3/2011 8:15 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Terry Ellison<Terry@ellisons.org.uk>  wrote:
>> On 03/08/11 15:14, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> A specific question then that should not require diverting your
>>> current efforts.  Is there a announcement list or some other mechanism
>>> to send an email to every registered wiki user?
>> At a technical level, it's simple to run a query dumping all of the mail
>> addresses of contributors to the wiki.  I've just done a few on my local VM
>> which has a snapshot of  the prod wiki as at Thursday/Fri night IIRC.
>>
>>    * There are 34,969 registered users.  Of which
>>    * 3,675 have made contributions.  There is no need to contact those
>>      who haven't
>>    * 3,623 have registered email addresses and have made 182,677
>>      contributions
>>    * 52 have no registered email addresses and have made 153
>>      contributions (prob dating back to the early days when email
>>      registration and confirmation wasn't mandatory
>>
>> It is trivial to dump this list of user / email addr / post count.
>>
>> However giving this to Apache and the project making use of it is a more
>> complex issue.  The server is current located in Oracle's Hamburg facility
>> under German / EU legislation.  We have data protection legislation and
>> Anti-Spam guidelines / legislation to bear in mind here.  Moving email
>> addresses across national and organisational boundary might trigger these.
>>   Also one can't send out mailshot emails in the EU unless the recipients
>> have first agreed in principle to accept these.
>>
>> What I can do is to provide this data to Andrew via the internal Oracle
>> email, and let him figure out the legal / compliance issues and terms of use
>> before him making it available to the project.  Not my call.
>>
> Good enough.  Thanks.  I was hoping that there would be some community
> email list that everyone was already signed up on.  Maybe if not at
> the wiki system level, then at the OpenOffice.org level?  If there is
> a master announce list that everyone is already on, then we'd be
> golden.
It is extremely unlikely that any such list will be officially donated.
We are working on the transfer of the hosting of the Forum and Wiki.
Once they have been transferred, this may be something that can be done
as a part of managing these properties.