incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 15:06:39 GMT
On 03/08/11 15:14, Rob Weir wrote:
> A specific question then that should not require diverting your
> current efforts.  Is there a announcement list or some other mechanism
> to send an email to every registered wiki user?
At a technical level, it's simple to run a query dumping all of the mail
addresses of contributors to the wiki.  I've just done a few on my local
VM which has a snapshot of  the prod wiki as at Thursday/Fri night IIRC.

    * There are 34,969 registered users.  Of which
    * 3,675 have made contributions.  There is no need to contact those
      who haven't
    * 3,623 have registered email addresses and have made 182,677
      contributions
    * 52 have no registered email addresses and have made 153
      contributions (prob dating back to the early days when email
      registration and confirmation wasn't mandatory

It is trivial to dump this list of user / email addr / post count.

However giving this to Apache and the project making use of it is a more
complex issue.  The server is current located in Oracle's Hamburg
facility under German / EU legislation.  We have data protection
legislation and Anti-Spam guidelines / legislation to bear in mind
here.  Moving email addresses across national and organisational
boundary might trigger these.  Also one can't send out mailshot emails
in the EU unless the recipients have first agreed in principle to accept
these.

What I can do is to provide this data to Andrew via the internal Oracle
email, and let him figure out the legal / compliance issues and terms of
use before him making it available to the project.  Not my call.

Terry