incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From IngridvdM <Ingrid...@gmx-topmail.de>
Subject Re: OOO340 to svn - directory setup
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 06:45:58 GMT
Am 03.08.2011 08:12, schrieb J├╝rgen Schmidt:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Eike Rathke<ooo@erack.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hi IngridvdM,

>>> Another good argument to separate l10n from trunk was given in an
>>> earlier thread: This way it is easier for developers to get only
>>> what they will need usually and spare the extra time and space.
>>>
>>> I think this is a good argument and I wonder whether we shouldn't be
>>> prepared to identify more such stuff - for example the binfilter.
>>
>> The problem with binfilter is that it depends on modules not in
>> binfilter, changing them incompatibly may entail changes necessary to
>> binfilter, those changes should be in one changeset, which I think is
>> not possible when not in trunk, insights anyone?
>>

> well binfilter is maybe not the best example because in the long term we
> should think about the elimination of binfilter completely. Announcing the
> end of life of these filters, then allow the import only for some time and
> the next step is to drop it ...

Ok agreed, binfilter is not the best example.
But what about the general idea to have a second directory where we can
place all the stuff that is not needed to build the main office (so not
needed in the usual day to day work of a code developer), but anyhow
belongs to the product and to each codeline/release.
Maybe templates or some extensions could qualify for this stuff. Maybe
we have nothing right now but my point is, if we identify such things
later I do not want to clutter the directory structure with more and
more directories next to trunk.

I think even that it would be more natural to have those main office
components and the extras components both within trunk. That should also
ease the creation of release branches.
So another suggestion for the directory setup:

ooo/trunk/main
   with all the other main office modules
   ooo/trunk/main/sw (writer)
   ooo/trunk/main/sc (calc)