incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TerryE <...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 19:00:10 GMT
<snip>
> 2) We need a credible security mechanism for the wiki.  Today, for
> example, it is not required for a user to give their real name (the
> field is optional).  And the password can be as little as 1 character.
>   (Yup, I just created an account with password="x").  With 15,000
> zombie accounts, lack of real names and the ability for users to
> create trivially crackable accounts, it would be hard to really
> identify a change to a particular person.

Yes on password strength, no on real names.  The key issue here is that
at some point during either the registration or posting process, the
account holder / poster actively acknowledges that the contributed
content falls under whatever licence that is required.  Without formal
identity verification, there is no material difference between a Monica
and a claimed name.