incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:39:27 GMT
Rob,

I think that you've missed my point.  The guy didn't THREATEN to leave.
He HAS left.  I doubt we will get him back.  My strong reaction was
because of that entirely avoidable loss of 5+ man-years of project
expertise that we will be pressed to recover for the sake on an
ill-considered shout-down.  Was this really wise?

Yes, I have only been on the DL for two days, but I have been a major
contributor to community side of the OOo project for five years.  And in
my 30+ years in this business, I've seen lots of f***ed up project
take-overs in my business unit.  I was trying to flag up that this old
dog is starting to sniff another one, and I would REALLY like to prevent
this happening.

You seem to be positioning yourself as the project leader and absolute
arbiter of Apache policy, and YOU have caused a valuable asset to this
project to walk, yet you seem to be totally unaware of this -- or are
and don't care.  If we keep this up then this Apache project will drive
away many if not most of the ex-OOo team who want to contribute.  You'll
be left with an extremely tidy and well-managed DL but no OpenOffice
product.

If this is the Apache way, then this will be a sad outcome.  But is this
the Apache way or just your individual interpretation?  I do wonder what
is the biggest project that you've run personally, or have you even done
this before?

Regards Terry