incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TerryE <...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 13:00:59 GMT
<snip>
> Regardless... it doesn't matter to me anymore.  I'm stepping out of
> this discussion now, and stepping away from anything to do with OOo
> documentation, including the OOo Wiki.
>
> Clayton
This was the outcome of an ill considered discussion.  Clayton, is the
one guy who really understands how the documentation is put together.
He's been working full time on this for at least 5 years that I know
of.  He was kicked in the teeth by Oracle, albeit for ration if perhaps
impersonal commercial drivers, and now has to consider his future
options.  Despite this and somewhat to my surprise he was willing to
re-engage and support OOo in the future within Apache.  His departure
would truly be a loss to the project and one that I think we all should
regret.

In my naiveté I did get the impression that the project would be a flat
consensual collaborative organisation rather than a hierarchical dictat,
albeit with the Apache umbrella.   OK, I fully accept that I don't
understand the "Apache way" yet, but in my days in EDS I had technical
oversight in taking over many account teams and ensuring continuity of
service (most far larger than this project) as well as running large
teams myself.  I have no interest in shovelling this shit in future but
I do know how to get the team to vanish like sand through your fingers.
One sure way is not to listen to considered and rational experience, to
ride roughshod over peoples input, and to use sarcasm as a tool in
sensitive dialogue.  These people are volunteers contributing pro-bono,
not servants.  If this is going to be the culture of this project, then
it is going to wither and die.