incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:32:51 GMT
Am 08/02/2011 01:04 AM, schrieb Gavin McDonald:

> [...]

Why to invent the wheel again? Why not just use the website as it is and
make changes to the underlaying infrastructure if necessary, so that
it's working also inside Apache?

> Perhaps the download link needs to be a big shiny blue/green graphic Icon
> with the words 'Download now!'
> on it to make more user intuitive, no problem there, you can do that.

Of course, a simple thing.

> On the page is an 'Other' mirrors section where one can optionally choose
> another mirror if
> the chosen one is having issues for some reason (it should not, as all
> mirrors are checked hourly
> for their usefulness and removed from being  a automatically chosen mirror
> if there are issues.)
> (this too is optional)

OK, thats good. We have a link to an alternative webpage to download.
Still without to present specific mirrors.

> So, effectively, you can remove everything and replace it with a pretty
> Download Icon, can't get
> any simpler than that. In other words, it can work in exactly the same way
> the current OpenOffice.org
> program downloads now.
>
> Oh, actually  just checked, the nice and easy 'Download now!' button on
> openoffice.org redirects to
> http://planetmirror.com/pub/openoffice/  (for me)
>
> oops, now what is a user to do? My program didn't download, where is it,
> what's the filename I'm looking for,
> what does stable mean, hmm, ooh theres the word developer, perhaps Im in the
> wrong place, HELP!

OK, forget this mirror. It doesn't work since months and was already
deleted from the network. However, it comes back from time to time. :-(

Try again.

Marcus