incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 23:12:01 GMT
Am 08/02/2011 12:49 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> So what do you want? A single download link that automatically selects
>>> the most appropriate mirror for the user?
>>
>> Yes. Everything else is not end-user compatible and needs to much effort to
>> explain.
>>
>>> That's easily done. I think you might be confusing the way that some
>>> projects choose to implement the download with how OO.o would be
>>> expected to implement the download.
>>>
>>> The ASF does not care what your download page looks like as long as
>>> you use the CGI scripts to ensure that an appropriate mirror site is
>>> used.
>>
>> Hm, let's see how independent the download thing really will be. ;-)
>>

> Well, I think it is obvious that it is better to have a a single
> mirror system with the ability to customize the UI for each project
> than to have each project seek out a different mirroring network.

Of course, I don't want to force the OOo mirror system now into the
Apache project. It's how to make the best use of it.

 > In
> other words, let's try to solve this with a JavaScript "hammer" if we
> can, and save the VM "hammer" for if we really need it.

AFAIK we have tried it with JS but have decided to use Bouncer (from
OSUOSL) and due to problems migrated then to MirrorBrain. MirrorBrain
isn't and doesn't need a VM "hammer". Currently it's running on a SuSE
system with 512 MB RAM.

Marcus