incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 22:03:21 GMT

On 8/1/2011 5:51 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 08/01/2011 09:25 PM, schrieb Ross Gardler:
>> On 1 August 2011 18:20, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>> AFAIK the current projects at Apache doesn't have high download numbers
>>> compared with OOo. So, a download request can point directly to a
>>> mirror or
>>> a mirror list is shown and the users have to choose themselves from
>>> where to
>>> get the software best.
>>
>> I wouldn't make any assumptions about the current mirror
>> infrastructure. What you write above does not reflect how things work
>> here. The ASF is a pretty large collection of projects with some very
>> large numbers behind it.
>
> I've looked at this both pages:
>
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi
> http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi
>
> When comparing it with the one from the current OOo project you should
> be able to see big differences:
>
> - too many links
> - too much data on one page
> - too much information to read to get an overview
> - too less clear structure

There are two, mostly orthogonal issues to discuss here - which is why
it's doubly important to better document what 1) features we think OOo
needs on it's download pages, and 2) what software & capacity is being
used currently for OOo downloads on the Oracle infra.

- Basic presentation of the download page.  In most Apache projects,
this can be controlled by the project.  Thus we could better control the
display of the physical download.cgi page itself within the Apache OOo
project, to better explain to users what they want.

- Implementation of mirror choosing on the download page.  This is for
someone from infra to discuss.

Separately is how mirrors are managed and rsync'd, but I'm sure once we
figure out the above parts there can be a plan for migrating (or
adopting) the syncing to the mirrors.

- Shane