incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:53:06 GMT

On 24 Aug 2011, at 00:49, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

area, if we can do so. Not only will that benefit users and improve our reputation, it will
allow us to work smarter, not harder. I will pursue this, along with other interested people.
It's something valuable that I can do while the techies are moving websites and working with
code etc.

will be a big task and take quite awhile, especially if we don't have enough skilled people
to do it. (I'm referring to content, not infrastructure.) All the more reason to get started
now with planning what we want to do, so we can start doing it ASAP.

>>> A system like this is a big investment.  It is not easy.  In fact, it
>>> probably would not be doable unless we collaborated with LibreOffice
>>> and related products on this.  But I think it is worth the investment.
>>> Glad to help in any way I can.
>>
>> That would be an interesting proposal. We seem to have skipped the discussion about
whether AOOo actually wants to aspire to having a full-scale consumer binary product and all
the support requirements that go with it. So far the LibreOffice project has avoided creating
support forums that "compete" with the openoffice.org lists; would it be smart to explore
a way to have this broader, collaborative support in place?

> My understanding is that there is already cooperation with LibreOffice
> on the existing support forums.  Is that true?

Yes, I believe it is.

>  If so, I'd hope that
> this would continue in any next-gen approach as well.  It makes sense.

It would need to be designed-in :-)  Which is why I'm raising the design-point now.