incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [www] html instead of markdown (mdtext)?
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:46:27 GMT

On Aug 11, 2011, at 12:44 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am proposing that we adopt plain HTML for the OOo website instead of the
>> current markdown (mdtext) implementation.
>>
>> I hesitate to make this recommendation given ALL the time and research Dave
>> and others have already spent on the current incubator website, but, I feel,
>> given that we will be migrating a rather large existing site, it makes
>> sense.
>>

> Where can I find the sources for the current website?  Not the wiki
> stuff, but the parts that you think would be difficult to migrate?
>
>> I also realize that doing this will "break" the ability to use the webgui
>> editing capability of the Apache CMS, forcing everyone to use svn for page
>> updates. However, I don't have a good feel right now for the ultimate impact
>> of that -- e.g. what do we expect in terms of web site editors.
>>
>> This would allow us to continue to use the default template system
>> (Dotiac::DTL) but eliminate the need for wrapping or intermixing markdown
>> text with normal HTML. HTML files shouldn't require any "wrapping" functions
>> at all I think, since this is the indigenous format for web servers. We
>> would have to bypass header, footer and navigation items for anything that
>> *isn't* html, like js, css files.
>>

> We should also consider that the best approach might be to not do
> mdtext and not do Dotiac::DTL, but to adopt a newer framework.
>
>> Unfortunately, I've had a very difficult time this week trying to find any
>> information on the setup details of Dotiac::DTL (documentation not
>> available) -- the relationship of the two .pm files to the template areas,
>> etc.
>>
>> I took at look around at many the Apache web areas (svn) at:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
>>
>> You will see, as I did, that the vast majority are not using markdown, and
>> this is NOT a requirement.
>>
>> Anyway, thoughts/comments on this proposal?
>
> HTML is not a panacea, of course.  It is very easy to design pages
> that look bad, are broken from portability,  internationalization and
> accessibility standpoint, introduce security issues, etc.  So having a
> constrained markup can be a good thing for a web site that you expect
> many people of various skill levels to edit.
>
> Just a thought:  Could you do the entire website in MediaWiki, with
> only exception cases (download page, etc.) done in HTML?

We are looking for a solution that involves the least impact on the current content.

Of course we will need to review every page for IP and need to keep. I think we are two or
three technical issues away from being able to script and apply consistent style and html
framework around either mdtext and html.

Similar composition might work with other sites.

Regards,
Dave