incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:10:55 GMT

On Aug 22, 2011, at 8:44 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Are you saying that the newsgroup, whatever it is, is designed to send everything posted
on it to ooo-dev ?  And it subscribes to ooo-dev so it is like an aggregator?

Yes. And it is actually very handy. These services are searchable public repositories of many,
many mailing lists. My experience is individuals that interact with the Apache POI lists via
nabble all of the time. Subjects are never a problem. with these GMane emails of Larry's they
end up in the same group because Apple Mail can tell they are from the same thread.

So, subject changes haven't bothered me except actually for yours recently with [email] -
but please this is an example of an annoyance that is not worth complaining about :-p

> I guess if it aggregated and allowed posting, it would end up being a disconnected conversation
if it didn't post here also.  But then there's the reply all problem because we are not really
a newsgroup, it is a kind of mirror that is the newsgroup.  And it anonymizes stuff that it
sends to us and breaks our threads.

Depends on your email client if it appears to break the thread or not.

> I find that weird.

And when the going gets tough the weird turn pro.

> Why don't we just offer an nntp feed of ooo-dev so that all they have to do is subscribe
to it in their news reader, whatever and wherever it is?

This is much less work. As in Zero for the project.

Thanks for asking these questions.

Regards,
Dave

list?  This list is not a newsgroup, but the gmane newsgroup creates the effect of subscribers
without they're being subscribed here.

>> Why should we be interested in that?  Especially with those mangled subject lines.
>
> The mangled subject lines are a trouble, but excluding people who are on nabble, gmane
and other forum like aggregators would be bad for the community.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> - Dennis

Varese