incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Migrating the web forums at user.services.openoffice.org to Apache servers
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 01:01:02 GMT
Hi Drew,

> I'd like to try and move this particular item to completion.
>
> Reading over the mailing list it is my opinion that their is a
> reasonable consensus for the Apache OpenOffice podling to facilitate
> continuity of service to the OpenOffice.org Community Fourms located at
> http://user.services.openoffice.org by allowing the site:
>
> 1: Continue to use this URL
>
> 2: Host the phpBB web services on an Apache server.
>
> That use of this URL, for this purpose, is at the sole discretion of the
> Apache OpenOffice Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC).
>
> The PPMC has sole discretion for authorizing individuals filling the
> role of systems administrator for the site, where access to system level
> services are required to perform such tasks. (a login account on the VM,
> access to MySQL server, etc)
>
> The PPMC has oversight responsibility and requires prior approval to any
> Terms of Use and Privacy Policy statements referenced from and used at
> the forums.
>
> The forum web page footer shall maintain a link to the official
> OpenOffice.org website, as designated by the PPMC, and to display a mark
> (logo) agreed to by the PPMC, for such purpose.
>
> Alright - Actions items here then IMO.
>
> 1 - Create a page on the wiki (which one?) with the following:
>
> The names of potential system administrators -
> Terry Ellison
> [A second admin TBD]
>
> (The site has operated with 2 and 3 admins to date, it's a good idea IMO
> to have at least two people that can handle issues)
>
> 2 - A contact point for the Apache Infrastructure team.
>
> (not sure if this would be a person or a role name, but it is important
> to document who needs to be contacted if some issue needs escalating)

Gavin is already working with TerryE.

There is also an INFRA JIRA issue tracker.

> 3 - Review the current English Terms of Use statement and update as
> needed and get consensus from PPMC on wording.
>
> 4 - Get the English version of the TOU translated for use on the the
> other language forums.
>
> 5 - Currently the site references a Privacy Policy statement on the
> Oracle web site - will need to lockdown exactly where this now needs to
> point for Apache.

a) Create the new Policy which should apply for all of the openoffice.org content going forward.

b) Put the page somewhere on the new www.openoffice.org site.

> 6 - Acquire new logo(s) for footer and proper link reference.
>
> (currently the footer also has an Oracle logo and links to the Oracle
> Open Office site - I'm thinking a generic Apache logo and link to
> Apache.org. Any other ideas?)

We're working on similar with the website. Certainly the Apache feather logo should be used.

We'll need to show that we an Incubating podling and also be clear somehow about the content
being variously licensed.

> - Prepare a ballot type email on the question of Apache offering hosting
> and authorized sys admins and place it to the PPMC private list for a
> vote.
>
> Also, I would be more then happy to take the time to go over the
> functioning of the forum with anyone here having questions.
>
> At the risk of sounding immodest I am proud to have helped with the
> Forums in the past, there is a strong group of individuals that have
> created a culture at the site which I believe the Apache folks would
> find quite recognizable. That the folks their do a good job of offering
> end user support to a large number of people in an efficient and cordial
> fashion. Feel free to follow up with those questions either in this
> mailing list or ping me direct if you prefer.
>
> Does this sound appropriate to everyone here?
> Did I miss anything in anyones mind?
> General comments/thoughts?

So far. So good.

> Meanwhile, I will proceed to create the wiki page (any suggestions on
> where you want to see this), then post back to the thread here with the
> link and let's start working down the list of items and getting this
> done.

TerryE created this page: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Community+Forums

If you want make a separate page or add to that page.

> Thanks much for your time,

No, thank you!

Regards,
Dave