incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <>
Subject Re: User support - what do others do
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:16:20 GMT

On 24 Aug 2011, at 04:40, drew wrote:

> Hi,
> Just a quick note.
> What do other similar FOSS projects do for "end user support", forums,
> lists or other.
> Calligra - forums, no mail list
> Scribus - forums, no mail lsit
> - forums, no mail list
> GnuCash - forums, no mail list
> InkScape - forums AND mail list

All end-user focussed and ease-of-use driven, all with forums. I agree this is what we should
be doing too.

> MySQL - forums and mail lists, however Forums are predominantly
> displayed from the sites main page, mailing lists take a little digging.
> Postgres - mail list, no official forum, though very active un-official
> one.

Each developer-focussed. We should maintain mailing lists for developers, IMO.

> All of the projects offer a user oriented wiki.

The main down-side I can see to forums is that they will need monitoring by a dedicated team
of volunteers as it's fairly unlikely developers will staff them. Hence a set of shared, user-focussed
forums staffed by volunteers from all the OpenOffice meta-community projects Rob usually lists
would be an excellent approach, feeding through to project-specific mailing lists where developers
hang out.

View raw message