incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [www] html instead of markdown (mdtext)?
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:13:52 GMT

On Aug 11, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> I am proposing that we adopt plain HTML for the OOo website instead of the current markdown
(mdtext) implementation.

We can mix and match.

> I hesitate to make this recommendation given ALL the time and research Dave and others
have already spent on the current incubator website, but, I feel, given that we will be migrating
a rather large existing site, it makes sense.

Don't worry about me. What I've learned is useful to me even if we decide to take another
approach.

How do you propose handling all of the Kenai wrapping? The new site won't be registering users
and probably doesn't need a lot of the current *.vm and *.html.html files.

> I also realize that doing this will "break" the ability to use the webgui editing capability
of the Apache CMS, forcing everyone to use svn for page updates. However, I don't have a good
feel right now for the ultimate impact of that -- e.g. what do we expect in terms of web site
editors.

You really CAN edit HTML using the Apache CMS Web-Gui. It is just that I currently like unwrapped
body html.

> This would allow us to continue to use the default template system (Dotiac::DTL) but
eliminate the need for wrapping or intermixing markdown text with normal HTML. HTML files
shouldn't require any "wrapping" functions at all I think, since this is the indigenous format
for web servers. We would have to bypass header, footer and navigation items for anything
that *isn't* html, like js, css files.

In the back of my head this week I've been thinking about a way to use properly formed html
and then "rewrap" to apply consistent headers and footers is forming. The idea is to use an
xslt filter to extract html from the <head> and <body>.

For the head - grab various elements including scripts and style. For the body grab it all.
There are at least two advantages:

(1) Each html page can be separated and tested outside of site framework.
(2) Every html page published on the site automatically has the proper framework.

> Unfortunately, I've had a very difficult time this week trying to find any information
on the setup details of Dotiac::DTL (documentation not available) -- the relationship of the
two .pm files to the template areas, etc.

It took me sometime to understand how it works. If you follow the instructions on running
locally - website-local.mdtext - it ought to work.

Perhaps we should IRC tomorrow and we can identify the disconnect in this documentation.

> I took at look around at many the Apache web areas (svn) at:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
>
> You will see, as I did, that the vast majority are not using markdown, and this is NOT
a requirement.

It is not a requirement, it was a recommendation. (POI uses a very old version of Forrest
and no one has wanted to change...)

> Anyway, thoughts/comments on this proposal?

Let's see if others have something to say. (I've got some Fortran and SQL to do today.)

Regards,
Dave