incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:48:04 GMT

On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Mathias Bauer wrote:

>>> Why are you asking when you want to do it anyway? ;-)

>>> I said I see up to 20 spam mails on the other both ML. I don't know how much
we get on dev@ooo.

>>> If so, it would be the same reason to shutdown also other mailing lists. So,
we could do it will all.

>>> As Mathias said, the shutdown will happen anyway. No need to force it.
>>
>> At some point in the near future the ASF will take over the DNS for openoffice.org.
>>
>> Once that occurs we must do some type of managed change over of the openoffice.org
email to whatever we want.

>> What do we want?
>
> What do you mean?
>
> The old OOo project mailing lists don't make sense in the new setup and
> they should be closed. The more I think about that, the more I like the
> idea to close the existing mailing lists soon.

user@ooo gets traffic. We would certainly want to direct that list membership to an ooo-user@i.a.o
ML. I think that it would be a good indication to that part of the community.

Other lists would might need a similar outreach.

> The foobar@openoffice.org mail addresses OTOH should be preserved. They
> are only forwarding addresses now and they can be kept that way, can't they?

Not sure about it. There are considerations.

(1) How do we get the forwarding data from Oracle? Is it legal to transfer the list, or is
it required?

(2) Will the ASF host this forwarding on the normal apache.org mail servers

(3) Who on the OOO PPMC will handle the daily administration of these forwarders as individual
email addresses change?

Regards,
Dave