incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: [ooo-user] was RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 22:09:56 GMT
Hi Dennis,

On Wednesday, 2011-08-31 13:56:13 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> When's the last time you heard of malicious code in a Microsoft Office
> file?  No recent version will run macro code without warning and
> default disabling on load.

True, nowadays sending such may be pointless.

> I would expect mail clients to also be
> circumspect about allowing direct opening of document files provided
> as attachments.

Double Click, "Do you really want to open this attachment?" YES, OK.

> I think the recommendation for those, for the wary, would be to allow
> Zip and encourage people to package anything simpler than an image
> that way.  Of course images and PDFs have exploits too.
>
> Perhaps the truly-safe cases are only text and zip?

To the contrary. Only this month I received about 50 .zip attachments
that exclusively contained malware, .exe .com .scr .cmd .bat etc. Not
including mails that were filtered out by anti-spam measures before they
even reached my inbox.

> I don't know about you, but I also only receive e-mail in plaintext.

I receive any format that was sent, I just read them only in plaintext ;)

  Eike