incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:34:50 GMT
Hi Rob,

On Wednesday, 2011-08-31 12:01:31 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> BTW, what should say the pre-reqs are for storage?  Source, including
> /main and /extras is around 4GB.  Matthias suggested 70 GB for
> building, which could be done on fast external storage.  So 75 GB free
> space total is reasonable?

One non-debug build on Linux can be done with roughly 8-10GB (git svn,
add 2-3GB when using plain svn) plus 5GB or more if you use ccache
(recommended), don't know about Windows. Building libraries with debug
can get huge on all platforms, I have no real numbers for that as I only
build selected modules with debug as needed. I think 20GB are sufficient
for a normal non-debug build. Add more if your mileage varies and don't
just want to build, Matthias' estimation is probably a good rule of
thumb.

> Do we have any RAM guidance?  is 1GB sufficient?  2 GB?

1GB under Linux works, did that two weeks ago, it starts swapping at
some points, have at least 2GB swap area. The more RAM the better.
I now have 8GB and ~70% are used as cache during a build. The more CPUs
the better to be able to, for example, use  build -P2 -- -P3  with
4 CPUs, that creates 6 parallel processes, 3 per dmake and 2 dmake in
different directories.

  Eike