incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:12:07 GMT
Hi Dennis,

On Monday, 2011-08-22 19:25:41 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> And why should we accept newsgroup posts the same as posts from
> subscribers to this list?  This list is not a newsgroup, but the gmane
> newsgroup creates the effect of subscribers without they're being
> subscribed here.

Actually not, if the sender is not subscribed to this list a post will
reach the moderator's inbox as with any post from a non-subscribed user.
Note that the From address is still individual and not some gmane
address. Some people just prefer to read mailing lists in a newsreader
even when subscribed to the list.

> Why should we be interested in that?  Especially with those mangled subject lines.

The mangled subject seems to be due to the mail address
dev@openoffice.org being part of the subject. Gmane mangles mail
addresses for spam protection, but apparently fails to unmangle it in
a subject line of a reply. Usually mail addresses are not part of
a subject, so I consider this a one-time annoyance.

  Eike