incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [email] RE: [Discuss] ASF hosted openoffice.org email service [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:41:39 GMT
On Sunday, August 21, 2011 09:21:51 PM Terry Ellison wrote:
> On 20/08/11 21:00, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> >
> >>   1. One has to do with name@openoffice.org where this is a personal
> >>   forwarding set up for some user (or entity) and it forwards to
> >>   another e-mail address.  If these are preserved, forwarding them to
> >>   some other email address to then be forwarded to the original entity
> >>   does not make a lot of sense.  The issue here is that the entity is
> >>   known by that email address and has connections that access that
> >>   entity by that email address. It is a good idea to preserve that
> >>   service so that the entities that have use of the individual ones can
> >>   somehow manage their forwarding.  I would not want to figure out how
> >>   to retire it until later, and with considerable warning.  Having an
> >>   individual's e-mail address disappear is not a pleasant experience.
> >
> > ... How does this help us develop and publish open source software? ...
>
> There seems little point in developing any FLOSS package which doesn't
> meet the needs of its user population, as we will end up with an unused
> product.  I repeat that  OpenOffice.org targets the general PC-owning
> population as its user-base.  This is very different to Apache Server,
> Traffic Server, Subversion and the other Apache projects that typically
> have a niche IT proficient and often IT professional user population.
> Clearly, the success of any FLOSS package depends on the support of a
> committed core of able developers.  However, the success of OOo also
> depends on a wide community of contributors, documentation and tutorial
> developers, community supporter and even just power-users who can
> evangelise the product.
>
> We have historically encouraged this community to use their oo.o
> mailboxes to foster a sense of identity.  I know that I used to use my
> TerryE@openoffice.org address a lot: answering end-user emails and as my
> email address for a range of forums, wikis and similar services.  I was
> and am proud to be associated with this project.  However, because I
> realise that the address might go away, I had to trawl through my emails
> to work out which services I had subscribed to using TerryE@oo.o and
> rehook them to another mailbox: a real pain -- but less painful than
> suddenly finding out that I had become disconnected from them.  So my
> answer is that alienating our extended community of supporters would not
> be something that we should do lightly.  OOo depends on their support.
>
> //Terry

 Likewise, I use it all the time,  I would be strongly opposed to losing the
@oo.o redirects for all of the reasons Terry outlines.  Also long term users,
(I dare say I'm not the only one) would have considerable issues tracing every
single connection that uses that email.

Administratively and in terms of resource consumption, I don't see a big issue
leaving it as is.

Cheers
GL

Graham Lauder,