incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eike Rathke <...@erack.de>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:45:51 GMT
Hi Rob,

On Saturday, 2011-08-13 10:51:57 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> Donations went to Team OpenOffice.org, e.V, or to SPI (for US
> donations).  I'm assuming that Oracle does not control either of these
> accounts.  I'm assuming as well that Apache and the PPMC has no
> control over these accounts.

For Team OOo that's correct. For SPI that's presumably correct as well.

> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an Apache
> project can have a private fund, or solicit donations for a 3rd party
> one.

Why not?

> Maybe have it point to here instead:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/contributing.html#Paypal

I think a donation to Apache in general is different from a donation
specifically to the AOOo project. I didn't see a "designated use" field
in the PayPal form.

> Higher level question is this:  is there any particular reason that we
> think AOOo has fundraising needs that are not covered by Apache's
> fundraising?  Apache provides the servers, the domain registrations,
> they have conferences which we are welcome to attend, they have a
> press office, etc.

Team OOo paid bursaries for individuals that went to OOoCons and
Hackfest, paid hardware for buildbots and pootle servers, paid students
for the OOo internship. Do you think that Apache will cover those
expenses?

  Eike