incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Hoch <eric_openoff...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: binfilter (was RE: OOO340 to svn)
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:45:21 GMT
Hi Armin,
Am Sat, 06 Aug 2011 13:56:45 +0200 schrieb Armin Le Grand:
> Am 05.08.2011 22:22, schrieb Eric Hoch:
>> Hi Armin,
>>>
>>> The current 3.2 version would be the last one to have both, how
>>> ling will it be installable and runnable on evolving systems? Can
>>> only be guessed, but usually it's another 7-8 years.
>>>
>>> I have no numbers, but how many people still have files in old
>>> formats? With introduction ODF years ago it was preselected as
>>> the standard.
>>
>> I don't know how it is in the country you live in but here in
>> Germany documents, especially tax relevant ones from companies,
>> must be archived for 10 years or even longer. 2011 minus 10 years
>> makes it 2001 and in 2001 there was no ODF.
>
> Germany, too :-)

:-)

>>> I think something like old file formats have to be deprecated one
>>> day, and in my opinion there was a quite long
>>> conversion/transition period now. As others already mentioned,
>>> binfilter is not even installed by default for 3.2 (if I remember
>>> correctly), and I have not seen any complaints about that yet.

Neither do I but that doesn't meant that there aren't any out
there.

>>> To All: Does anyone use one of the old binary formats or knows
>>> anyone who does actively nowdays? Please answer if you know about
>>> something like that, this would be valuable input in this
>>> discussion.
>>
>> Not used actively but needed in order to open old documents which
>> cannot be converted into ODF because of the above reason that you
>> cannot rule out that you make 100 out of 1000 or the other way
>> round.
>
> Use the last version doing both, the first AOO release as it
> looks. It's not even released, so there will be some time where
> it will be installable.

Sounds good. We need a clean statement that this will be the last
version coming with import-/exportfilters for the following
formats. Please make sure that you convert documents of need into a
new format or archive them probably into PDF/A, etc... This should
be written so that non-tech users understand it.

> One concrete question: DO you have documents in the old formats
> or is this just hypothetical..?

Yes I have documents in the old format but they are privat, not tax
related and already to 99% redone in the new ODF Format. The most
important document in the old format I have is my Diplomarbeit
which for whatever reason converts badly into the new ODF format. I
think I'll need to spend a day or two on the reformatting of the
document.

I also assume that come the ongoing inspection of documents and
used software at my new job it is possible to find documents
needing binfilter, if for whatever reason someone used StarOffice
instead of MS Office.

Eric

--
## de.OpenOffice.org - Office für MacOS X, Linux, Solaris & Windows
## Openoffice.org - ich steck mit drin!