incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Community outreach to openoffice.org visitors?
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:06:41 GMT
On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:58:44 Andrew Rist wrote:
> On 8/3/2011 2:27 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
> >> Do you mean this?
> >>
> >> http://www.openoffic.org
> >> http://www.openoffic.org/news
> >>
> >> Or which landing pages do you have in mind?
> >
> > An idea: is there any easy way to get it into the header, so it is on
> > every page?  Something like "News: Apache OpenOffice.org!" with a
> > link, perhaps to a new blog post.  We could first write a blog post,
> > specifically reaching out to OOo community members and telling them
> > how they can get involved.  Then, once that is posted, get that link
> > out broadly, via the OOo website, wiki, mailing lists, forums,
> > Facebook page, Twitter, etc.
>
> +1
> I will take care of updating OOo site when we are ready
> Andrew
>
> > It might make sense to wait until we first do the source migration and
> > have Bugzilla, the wikis and forums migrated.  But right around then
> > would be a good time to put out the word.
> >

> > -Rob

We should probably be looking at a press release as well as part of that.
We can use the announce@ list simultaneously, the majority of subscribers of
which, are our target Audience.  If people are subscribed to that list
anything sent via  that medium can't be considered spam.

Releases should go just to the tech press to remind them that the project is
alive and kicking, wider than that is probably not necessary at this stage.

Next press release after that should be to announce the "Non Apache" release
if there is going to be one (I've made my feelings on this release known but
we'll see what the consensus is)

In the past press releases were hacked about with on the private PR list or on
occasion the also private MarCon list, for obvious reasons.  Is there a policy
for creating such marketing materials here at Apache.

Cheers
GL