incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:09:48 GMT

On 24 Aug 2011, at 02:29, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think we still need to have a serious discussion about the scope of the
>> ambitions of AOOo - it's been raised before but deferred pending actually
>> having a repo to work on. If the project chooses to maintain core code
>> rather than attempt a full-scale clone of the former OOo project, it's
>> entirely possible that commonality will remain.
>>

> We had that discussion.  The proposal was made [1].  The scope of the
> effort was defined in that proposal.  You argued against that scope..
> You did not prevail.  The proposal was approved.  If anything has been
> deferred, it has been your acceptance of these basic facts.   Just
> because you disagree with the approved scope does not mean that the
> discussion did not take place, nor does it mean that the discussion
> was not serious.

That's just not so, Rob. The time to have a scope discussion is once we are in a position
to start development, and that's not happened yet. The incubator proposal merely set the stage.
Meanwhile I am trying hard to positively work on the clause that says "We will make [the relationship
with LibreOffice] a priority early in the life of the podlet", which does not seem to be happening.
I invite you to build rather than inhibit that relationship.

> But regardless, I'd recommend a new thread, if you want to divert this
> discussion to questions unrelated to next-gen user support.

This is already a new thread, this is not a diversion since it relates to what is reasonable
to plan regarding user support and collaboration with others. I look forward to your positive
contribution and development of the ideas I'm suggesting in support of AOOo's realistic future.

S.